“Although the body politic is one family yet because of lack of harmonious relations some members are comfortable and some in direst misery, some members are satisfied and some are hungry, some members are clothed in most costly garments and some members are in need of food and shelter. Why? Because this family lacks the necessary reciprocity and symmetry. This household is not well arranged. This household is not living under a perfect law. All the laws which are legislated do not ensure happiness. They do not provide comfort.”
-‘Abdu’l-Bahá: Foundations of World Unity, p. 38; and Star of the West, Vol. XIII, p. 227–228.
- What is the result of lack of harmonious relations?
- What does the human family lack?
- Why is this household not well arranged?
- Do legislated laws alone ensure happiness?
“Economic plans of reconstruction have been carefully devised, and meticulously executed. And yet crisis has succeeded crisis, and the rapidity with which a perilously unstable world is declining has been correspondingly accelerated. A yawning gulf threatens to involve in one common disaster both the satisfied and dissatisfied nations, democracies and dictatorships, capitalists and wage-earners, Europeans and Asiatics, Jew and Gentile, white and coloured.”
-Shoghi Effendi: The World Order of Bahá’u’lláh, p.190.
- What has happened in spite of carefully devised and meticulously executed economic plans?
- Who will be involved in one common disaster?
- What threatens to involve people in one common disaster?
- Can you think of any economic plan that was devised but failed?
- Name a few economic crises of our century.
- Do you think economic problems can only be found in developing countries?
- Can you name a few economic problems that industrial countries face or have faced?